Halls of Renown: The Names Behind UT Campus Buildings

     
Battle Hall   Battle Hall, 1911, designed by Cass Glibert in the Mediterranean Renaissance style, was the Old Library and later the first home of the Eugene C. Barker Texas History Center. It was renamed in 1973 for William J. Battle, professor of classics from 1893 to 1948 and UT president from 1914 to 1916.
(large image)
(
Location of Battle Hall on the UT Campus)
     
Blanton Dormitory for women, 1955, honors Annie Webb Blanton, a teacher, women's suffragist, state superintendent of public instruction, tireless crusader for Texas public school financing, and UT educator until her death in 1945.
(
large image)
(
Location of Blanton Dorm on the UT Campus)
  Blanton Dormitory
     
Disch-Falk Field   Disch-Falk Field, 1975, honors Longhorn baseball coaches W. J. “Uncle Billy” Disch (1911-1939) and Bibb Falk (1940-1967). Together they compiled a 989-357 won-lost record, with forty conference championships and two national championships.
(large image)
(
Location of Disch-Falk Field on the UT Campus)
     
The Undergraduate Library and Academic Center (1963) was renamed to honor outgoing UT President Peter T. Flawn in 1985. President Flawn's announced “war on mediocrity” was lampooned by Daily Texan cartoonist Berk Breathed.
(
large image)
(
Location of Flawn Academic Center on the UT Campus)
  Flawn Academic Center
     

Previous Page ~ Image Index ~ Next Page