|Old Main Building,
constructed 1884 and demolished in 1935. CN 09259.
Main Building (later referred to as the Old Main
Building) dominated the University campus until it was
demolished in 1935 to make way for the current Main
Building. The west wing of Old Main was designed by F.E.
Ruffini and completed in January 1884. The central
section, designed by Burt McDonald, was completed in 1889
and the east wing, also designed by McDonald, was
completed in 1899. The architectural style was Victorian
Gothic and the structure contained classrooms, offices, a
rotunda, and an auditorium.
Old Main, ca. 1895. CN 00409.
This scene of a
classroom in Old Main around the turn of the century
suggests the formal expectations that The University had
regarding its student's attire men wore coats and
ties and women wore full skirts and hats.
|Office of W.L. Prather, University President, 1899-1905. CN 09380.|
Previous Page ~ Image Index ~ Next Page