Skip to NavSkip to Content

 
The University of Texas at Austin

Museums

The Winedale Story - Facilities, Friends, and Administration

Since its founding in 1967, Winedale has developed several facilities that serve as venues for its workshops, conferences, and public programs. These facilities, near Lake Winedale, include the Wagner Dining Hall and Dormitory, the Meadows Foundation Conference Center, and the Pavilion.
 
 

WAGNER DINING HALL AND DORMITORY

Map of Alfred Wagner farmstead in the 1930sMap of Alfred Wagner farmstead in the 1930s,
from notes by Mark Wagner.

Winedale Historical Center Collection

The Wagner Dining Hall and Dormitory was the former residence of Alfred Wagner and his family, who lived on the property from 1931 to 1958. In the mid-1960s, Miss Ima Hogg acquired the farmhouse and some sixty acres surrounding it for use as a conference facility at Winedale. Her purchase of the house began the process of creating an administrative and conference area across the road from the historic structures.

 

Dining Hall of Wagner Dining Hall and Dormitory

Dining Hall of Wagner Dining Hall and Dormitory,
photograph by Drew Patterson.

Winedale Photograph Collection

Front view of Wagner Dining Hall and Dormitory.
Winedale Photograph Collection

Front view of Wagner Dining Hall and Dormitory

Back porch of the Wagner Dining Hall and Dormitory

Back porch of the Wagner Dining Hall and Dormitory,
photograph by Drew Patterson.

Winedale Photograph Collection

 
 

MEADOWS FOUNDATION CONFERENCE CENTER

The Meadows Foundation Conference Center was an important addition to Winedale's facilities. It provides meeting rooms and facilities for Winedale's seminars, workshops, and retreats. Dedicated in 1990, the center was constructed with the generous support of the Meadows Foundation in Dallas.

 

Meadows Foundation Conference Center.
Winedale Photograph Collection

Meadows Foundation Conference Center

A light moment at the Winedale Museum Seminar, Meadows Foundation Conference Center

A light moment at the Winedale Museum Seminar, Meadows Foundation Conference Center,
photograph by Kit Neumann.
Winedale Photograph Collection

Meadows Foundation Conference Center,
photograph by Drew Patterson.
Winedale Photograph Collection

Meadows Foundation Conference Center

 
 

PAVILION

The Pavilion and nearby Wagner Dining Hall and DormitoryThe Pavilion and nearby Wagner Dining Hall and Dormitory,
photograph by Drew Patterson.

Winedale Photograph Collection

The Pavilion is a covered, outdoor venue near Lake Winedale for picnics, casual meetings, and music performances. Constructed with the generous support of the Fondren Foundation in Houston and individual Winedale supporters, the Pavilion officially opened in 1996 at the Miss Ima Hogg Historical Awards Luncheon. Since then it has been the frequent site of music performances that have spanned the full spectrum of Texas folk and popular music.

  The Lee Roy Matocha Band of Fayetteville plays at the Pavilion

The Lee Roy Matocha Band of Fayetteville plays at the Pavilion.
Winedale Photograph Collection

 
 

DOLPH BRISCOE CENTER FOR AMERICAN HISTORY

In 1995 Winedale became a division of the Center for American History (now the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History) at the University of Texas at Austin. This was a logical step that brought Winedale under the management of this leading history research center who through stewardship, scholarship, and outreach, increases knowledge and fosters exploration of our nation's past.

The Briscoe Center has strengthened Winedale's ties with the scholarly community and the general public. The result has brought a new energy to Winedale's well established programs and facilities. The Briscoe Center continues to seek ways to expand the resources and services of this unique historic property.

 

previous page The Development of Winedale, part 2 ~ Index ~ Music next page