The Winedale Historical Complex, a division of UT Austin's Briscoe Center, is a collection of nineteenth-century structures and their period furnishings situated on 225 acres in northern Fayette County. Winedale's collections offer a tangible link to the Texas past, capturing the evidence of history through architecture, furnishings, and decorative arts.
Most of the structures and collections at Winedale were moved to the complex by Miss Ima Hogg in the 1960s. Miss Hogg donated the Winedale campus to the university in 1967, envisioning a "laboratory for students in college to explore many fields associated with the history and culture of ethnic groups who migrated to Texas in the early part of the 19th Century."
Winedale's purpose, in support of the university's educational mission, is to foster an understanding of Texas history and culture by preserving the collections and making them available for teaching and research. Winedale's resources include 10 historic 19th century buildings, an extensive collection of Texas furniture, decorative arts, and the Winedale Quilt Collection.
Winedale regularly hosts students from elementary and secondary schools, as well as college classes in history, anthropology, horticulture, and theater. Established in 1970, the Shakespeare at Winedale program provides students the opportunity to explore Shakespeare through performance. Winedale's dining hall, dormitory, conference center, and outdoor pavilion are available for use by nonprofit educational groups for meetings and retreats. The Wagner dormitory has undergone a seven-figure renovation thanks to support from Nancy M. and Howard L. Terry.
Winedale supports the university's public outreach through tours by appointment, publications, exhibits and programming. In 2012, the Briscoe Center published the two-volume series, Texas Furniture. In 2013, the center collaborated with the Bob Bullock Texas State History museum to present Texas Furniture From The Ima Hogg Winedale Collection. As with the book series, the exhibit opened up Winedale's collections to new audiences. It has been digitally archived as a 360-degree virtual tour. Winedale also hosts an annual quilt exhibit in February and Christmas at Winedale, a folk-life festival in December.
*Banner Photo by Stan A. Williams/Courtesy of Texas Highways
Winedale is home to 10 historic structures, first restored by Miss Ima Hogg in the late 1960s and early 1970s. The buildings underwent extensive renovation in 2003-2004, shortly after the University transferred the care of the property to the Briscoe Center. While they remain structurally sound, maintaining them is a complex and costly affair. The Briscoe Center makes regular investments to maintain the Winedale campus and its collections, including a contingency reserve for emergency repairs. Recent repair work includes work on the Beigel house and upgrades to the water line and septic system.
The Briscoe Center welcomes and actively solicits philanthropic support for the Winedale Historical Campus. Gifts, pledges and bequests either for outright use or to build the preservation endowment are encouraged. To learn more about opportunities to help Winedale contact Lisa Avra, CFRE at email@example.com or 512-495-4696. You can also mail your gift to: Winedale Preservation Fund, 2300 Red River Street, Stop D1100, Austin, Texas 78712.
The Friends of Winedale is a 501(c)3 charitable organization that raises funds to benefit the Winedale Historical Complex. For more information regarding the Friends of Winedale and their upcoming activities please visit their web site: http://www.friendsofwinedale.org.
Contact and Directions
Winedale is located at 3738 FM 2714 near Round Top, Texas. All tours are by appointment only. To arrange a tour please call (979) 278-3530. Staff information is available on our directory page.
During the fifty years between 1830 and 1880 Texas artisans produced handmade furniture to supply the needs of their neighbors. By 1880, railroads had made factory-made furniture from the eastern and midwestern United States available to most Texans, and local cabinetmakers largely ceased production. Houston philanthropist Ima Hogg assembled a collection of furniture made by Texas cainetmakers at the Winedale Historical Center near Round Top, which she donated to the University of Texas at Austin. This online exhibit shows the finest examples from that collection.
Recently, the Briscoe Center sponsored a significant research project led by two widely known experts in the field of material culture, Lonn Taylor and David Warren, that served as the foundation for the recent publication of Texas Furniture: The Cabinetmakers and Their Work, 1840–1880, Volumes One and Two. The first volume, universally recognized as the authoritative publication on the subject of nineteenth-century handmade Texas furniture, relied heavily on Miss Ima Hogg's Winedale collections, now an integral part of the Briscoe Center's holdings in material culture.
"The Winedale Story" online exhibit is based on a permanent exhibit in Hazel's Lone Oak cottage at Winedale. The exhibit features facsimiles of photographs, maps, manuscripts, newspapers, and artifacts drawn from the Briscoe Center's extensive Texas history collections.