Winedale - Buildings & Decorative Arts -
The Four-Square Barn was also part of the original Lewis Farmstead. It is properly called a "transverse crib barn" because it consists of two pairs of corn cribs across from each other. The barn was built by the Lewis family sometime after 1848. Constructed of hand-hewn oak logs with some long cedar beams, it has mortise and tenon joints and half-dovetail corner notching. It is one of the few such barns still in existence in Texas.
The barn was designed to store corn in the cribs and corn tops and hay in the loft above. Animals and equipment were kept in the sheds attached around the perimeter. The barn was restored following the Wagner House restoration and today houses agricultural and cabinet-maker's tools and equipment.