Winedale - The History of Winedale
Winedale derives its name from a German community that existed briefly after 1870 in Washington County. Local farmers cultivated grapes and the post office carried the name Winedale. Sometime after 1881 the village was relocated nearby in Fayette County along Jack's Creek, where it was centered around a residence once known locally as Sam Lewis's Stopping Place, and later as the Stagecoach Inn. Samuel Lewis died in 1867, but his heirs retained the house until 1882, when they sold it to Joseph George Wagner, Sr. Members of the Wagner family, including children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren, lived in the home for the next eighty years. Today this residence, now called the Wagner House, is the centerpiece historic structure at Winedale.
Today's Winedale is the legacy of Houston philanthropist Miss Ima Hogg, one of the nation's early preservationists and a colleague of major recognized collectors such as John D. Rockefeller and Henry du Pont. Miss Hogg originally purchased approximately ninety acres of land and related buildings on the former Samuel K. Lewis Farmstead in 1963 in order to preserve the Lewis family home. Two years later, in the midst of her restoration of the structures, Miss Hogg donated the entire property, including period furnishings, to the University of Texas.
View the online exhibit The Story of Winedale for a more detailed history.