- Online Reference Tools
- Get Reference Help
- Request Duplication
- Plan Your Research Visit
The process for conducting research at the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History is very simple:
1. Bring along:
- A valid photo ID
- A personal camera, if you like, for photographing items in the reading room (no personal scanning or photocopying equipment)
- A laptop computer, if you have one
- Notes on loose paper (no bound notebooks or spirals; we provide additional scratch paper). We will stamp these with our clearance mark before you enter the reading room.
2. Register as a researcher using your photo ID at our information desk, or sign in if you have registered here before. When you register, we will issue you a parking permit to place on your dashboard if you parked in the LBJ visitor’s lot.
3. Place the following in a locker:
- Hats and coats
- Purses, backpacks, laptop and camera cases
- Food and drinks
- Personal books, notebooks and folders
4. If you have already consulted Online Reference Tools and know exactly what you want to see, then fill out call slips to let us know what to retrieve for you. We can help you with this. Or, browse our finding aids and guides, and then fill out the slips.
5. Hand your slips to the staff at the reference desk, take a seat anywhere you like in the Reading Room, and we will bring the materials to you. We do not allow researchers to retrieve materials on their own, with the exception of microfilm and ready reference books.
6. Enjoy viewing our materials at your table, one box, two map folders, five books, or five vertical files at a time. Turn in these items to exchange them for others to take to your table. We stop retrieving items 15 minutes before closing each day. We will ask you to sign out when you are finished.