We urge researchers to request an appointment to do research while we operate from the Benson Latin American Collection. When you arrive for your appointment you will need to follow these procedures before beginning your research:
1. Place the following in lockers provided in the hallway outside the reading room:
- Hats and coats
- Purses, backpacks, laptop and camera cases
- Food and drinks
- Personal books, notebooks and folders
2. Bring in:
- A valid photo ID
- A personal camera for photographing items in the reading room (no personal scanning or photocopying equipment).
- A laptop computer.
- Notes on loose paper (no bound notebooks or spirals; we provide additional scratch paper). We will stamp these with our clearance mark before you are seated.
3. Register as a researcher using your photo ID at our information desk, or sign in if you have registered here before. When you sign in, we will issue you a parking permit to place on your dashboard if you parked in the LBJ visitor’s lot.
4. Let the reference staff know what materials you pre-ordered when you requested an appointment. They will give you a seat number and your first box, books or files.
5. Enjoy viewing our materials at your table, one box, three map folders, three books, or three vertical files at a time. Turn in these items to exchange them for others to take to your table.. If you wish to see additional materials during your appointment time, you may turn in three more call slips when you are using your last box, file or volume. We take call slips until 30 minutes after the hour, for delivery of materials at the top of the next hour. Materials will be delivered only once an hour.