ca. 1901 which later became the Longhorn Band. CN 09260.
Eugene Paul Schoch, professor of chemical engineering,
organized the Varsity Band, later to become the Longhorn
Band. In this picture taken on the stage in the Old Main
auditorium Dr. Schoch (with the moustache) is seated in
the clarinet section. The band director (standing) is Dr.
|University Library, ca.
1898. CN 00792
The University's library was located
initially in a small, unlighted room on the top floor of
the Old Main Building. In 1897, the library was relocated
to larger quarters in the large hall under the
auditorium. This move was undoubtedly brought on by the
gift, that same year, of the splendid personal library of
Sir Swante Palm. Palm's library contained some ten
thousand books, and his generous donation doubled the
size of the existing University library.
academic diploma, 1885. CN 09268
Although several law
students earned degrees in the spring of 1884, it wasn't
until June 1885 that an academic diploma was first
awarded by The University. The recipient of that first
academic diploma was Samuel Clark Red, who would later
become a prominent physician in Houston. Diplomas in the
early years of UT's history were signed by each member of
the Board of Regents and each member of the faculty.
Previous Page ~ Image Index ~ Next Page